Thursday, October 13, 2011

Transcontinental Miscommunication

So I was talking to Catherine, my direct superior today. She is one of the English teachers at the school, but she is the person directly responsible for me. Yesterday, she was teaching an English class. I have the same student, but in a different session earlier in the day. One boy, in the middle of class, came up to her and said, "I'm studying for the TOEFL exam now and I need more advanced English practice than what we're working on in class". To me, this sounds like something perfectly just and valid to say to a teacher. However, Catherine was mollified. She had never been so angry in her life! She thought it was utterly pretentious and entitled to act that way, and that it sets a bad example for the rest of the class. I feel sorry for the poor kid. He's probably doing practice exercises in a book that shows that he does, indeed need better English comprehension skills. The TOEFL is a standardized test created by ETS, who also create the GRE. The GRE, I know, from personal experience, is very difficult and full of traps and tricks for the test taker. Catherine told me, "in the next class I want you to speak very rapidly to him in sophisticated and complex English". I think she wants me to show him a comeuppance. But I don't agree with that. I'd rather arrange to tutor him privately, if at all possible. Catherine said, "well he has a Swedish mother and so he hears some English at home and so he is very proud of this fact" as if it were a bad thing. What's more, she told me he's a good student. So I don't see what the problem is. I tried to tell her that from my perspective, I saw no reason to be upset. But then she had work to do and could not continue the conversation. Additionally, I had to give an exam in oral practice in my next class. We split the class in two and I took about 10-15 of them (I didn't count). At the end of the class, the teacher was very upset that I had not gotten to testing the last 3 of then. She told me that I had thus not completed the important task, which was to test all of then. Well, I said can't we finish next week? It turns out that next week they're going on work placement internships, so they will not be in class. How was I supposed to know this? I hate to incur the wrath of a colleague, but she really should have told me this ahead of time. Classes are an hour. It took her 10 minutes to take roll and split the class up, and another 5-7 for us to find the room upstairs where I would be teaching. The key she had given me didn't work so we had to find another empty classroom. Then, it took 5 minutes with each of then to ask the questions, and another 2-3 to grade them on the ruberic, and make specific comments for each student, which the teacher had asked for. But, on the whole I find I'm really liking the job, and I think the students like me. They all hang out in the park adjacent to the school and smoke. I was passing through the park on my break, coming back from getting lunch, when a few called out to me. We talked for a bit and they complimented my French. So that's cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment