Sunday, October 16, 2011

A brief tour of my local market

Perhaps one of my favorite aspects of quotidian French life is the market. In Paris, every neighborhood has a local market that occurs once or twice a week. Mine happens to fall on Sunday, which is perfect; as most of Paris totally shuts down on Sunday ( despite what the government has to say about it, it is still very much a Catholic country) the market gives people a reason to get up early and get out on their day of rest. Everyone comes out--young, old, and canine alike. The market is one of the few opportunities to glimpse a true melting pot phenomenon in France; there are not just vendors selling French items, but Lebanese, Creole, Chinese, and in the case of my market, Polish as well. I've found that I can find most items cheaper at my local supermarket, but for specialty products and fruits and veggies, why not buy direct from the producer? Today I just needed apples, so I went and got 8 of them for 2e and change! Anyway, enjoy the photos I managed to snap on my iPad while perusing the stalls. Not just food is sold here, but all manner of clothing and household knickknacks.

No comments:

Post a Comment