Wednesday, October 26, 2011

ANIMAL at Les Arts Décoratifs

There's a very small show on at les arts Décoratifs called ANIMAL. it traces not only images of animals through decorative arts and fashion, but also the use of various animal skins and materials. I had seen it last year, but there was an utterly different variety of objects on display this year, and it was quite a treat! I saw two other shows at les arts Décoratifs today, in addition to perusing the permanent collection, and this was easily my favorite. Why? First and foremost I am a die-hard animal lover (although that doesn't stop me from eating them or wearing their skins :-(....something I feel slightly guilty about, but the pleasure I partake of in meat and fashion outweighs this guilt. Sort of), and second of all because the range of utilization in fashion and accessories on display is exquisite. Here are some pictures I snapped, showing: ladies' fans from the 19th century crafted from shell, ladies shoes in silk and boots in leather from the same period, small decorative figurines, advertisements, and lastly, stuffed animals. I was pleased to see several familiar characters appear in this last category, some of which you will surely recognize!

No comments:

Post a Comment