Saturday, October 8, 2011

And now for some accolades

Don't think tis bling is going to be all whine whine whine. I feel very fortunate to be here, and I really am having the time of my life. I mean, I love the French. Well, except for the racism and anti semitism. But I mean, come on, French was half of my major at college. So here are some things I love: the bouquinistes. The bouquinistes are the stalls lining the Seine where old and used books, newspapers, posters, and touristy knickknacks are sold. They are incredible and utterly without analogue in the united states. For example, to decorate my wall, I found an illustration of two women from a fashion magazine from 1886. It cost 6 euros. It is an original (I love me some Belle Epoque style). The same kind of thing would cost at least $30-40 in the states. And the same goes for the scores of used and vintage books the bouquinistes sell. Last week I found a gorgeous leather-bound book from a series entitled "les personnages maudits", "cursed individuals" all about Rasputin. It is RAD.
The French love their doggies. They treat their canine companions as true members of the family, bringing them with them into restaurants, shops, and the supermarket. Also, the dogs are much more obedient. Many people walk around with their dogs without a leash. A common site at the sidewalk cafes is to see a dog obediently sitting, sans leash, next to it's owner, while hoards of people pass by. I know my furry little babies at home, Luci and Zippy, would never be able to do that. They'd start chasing cars, people, other dogs. You name it. The only thing about the French and they dogs that isn't cool is that they don't clean up after them. Yeah, I know, in the true French spirit of things you don't want other people to tell you what to do and you want NOTHING to interfere with your specific way of doing things, but please, get hip to the pooper scooper.

No comments:

Post a Comment