Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Voter Rights?!!!!?!?!?!

Every time I have voted in this city, I have felt disabled and disempowered. I don't require a lot of assistance or aids to cast my vote, but what I do need is a large-print, legible ballot, and a clear source of light. How hard is that? How difficult is that to provide to New Yorkers? In a city that prides itself on accessibility and equal access, the voting procedure (at least in my district) is a glaring red FAILURE.

I walk in to the church that is my polling place. It's pretty empty, which is somewhat surprising. I except something between the two hour wait of the presidential election, and the pin drop silence of the primaries.

Anyway, I walk in and show my registration card and ask, "hi there, is there a large print ballot?". I am pointed to my district table, and I ask the same question. I am greeted woh utter grace by the woman at the table, who sits there and gruffly asks, "Ehat? You can't see?" I'm so appalled by her lack of sensitivity and awareness that I choose not to dignify her question with an answer. Instead, I'm told, no, there are no large print ballots, but two people can come in to the booth to read the ballot to me. No thank you. I choose to use my own reading glasses, but am again flabbergasted when I see that the ballot has you bubble the candidates in. A scantron form. Like the one on the SATs. At this point, I am livid. I look around. There other constituents voting are all easily septuagenarians---at least. Many of them are also having trouble.

I don't typically find myself in a position where I'm asking for help. Indeed, I try to avoid these situations. But when I do find myself in these instances, I would really appreciate it if people refrained from being condescending and judgemental assholes. Sure, I didn't like these old crones' attitudes, but it cuts deeper than that: I fiercely and passionately believe in the right to suffrage. It is a privilege and civil duty. Yet, by making it such a challenge, the government is providing a disincentive to vote. It shouldn't be this hard or upsetting. I know I am not the only one who has faced challenges this Tuesday, and I want to do something about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment