Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Selfcare

I slipped up.

Over the summer, I had been going to the gym all the time, and I introduced yoga to my repertoire this fall. Both of these pursuits were to relieve stress and tension, as well as being healthier in general. I felt great! Any anxiety or nerves I was feeling melted away once I worked up a sweat and felt that endorphin rush.

Well, I've been busy writing midterm papers and working on a research project. I've lagged behind in my exercise routine. It's probably been 2 or 3 weeks since I've been to the gym, and longer since yoga.

I was feeling tense and moody last night and this morning (hello, lovely lady hormones!) and decided to go to yoga. I go to Yoga to the People on st. Marks. I love it! They offer Power Vinyasa Flow yoga. While it still focuses on the breath as all yoga does, it is quite a WORKOUT. When I leave, I am shaking and sweating all over. But I still feel peaceful and centered.

I went today and was reminded of the importance of self care. Even though I have been much less stressed than I was think summer (thank God), it's still important to take the time for oneself. My other ritual is going to Trivia with Nathan at Full Circle Bar. But that's our couples time. What makes yoga and going to the gym so powerful for me (aside from the endorphin kick!) us that I can be wholeheartedly selfish and narcissistic and focus on myself. But not focus on any of my issues--these are times I can take to relax and release. I realize how important it is to keep up with these routines--even at the best of times. Otherwise, it is all too easy to let the stress creep up and consume you.

No comments:

Post a Comment