Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Social workin'

I try not to mention my personal life in this space, but I've recently had a big life change, and I'd like to reflect upon it here. I was recently accepted into a masters of social work program. I am thrilled. My educational background is in comparative literature, but I see many common themes in these two areas. I realized that what drives me to pursue social work is pure engagement, with society and social issues. The same style of 'engagement ', both political and artistic, that Sartre highlights in his essay, 'L'existentialiste est une humanise'. I have always felt deeply commuted to cultural engagement, which is to say, keeping current with films, art expositions, politics, current events and pop culture. I'm a city girl, I like being surrounded by the pulsation of creativity. That being said, I've always wanted a career wherein i will be able to make a difference or impact in others lives. The principle of direct engagement underscores the entire discipline of social work. It is the practice of engaging with individuals and groups, whether in an academic, corporate, hospital, or private practice setting. Social work is about attacking problems head-on. All I have to say is, I know this will be a challenge, but I am so incredibly excited!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats! This is exciting. Hope to talk to you about it more. -Rachel

    ReplyDelete