Monday, February 6, 2012

Just one of those days

Today, i had no one show up (neither teacher or students) for not one, but two classes in a row. What's more, I had seen one of the teachers in question in the hallway a few hours before. She failed to tell me if there weren't classes. I wouldn't have problems if this was a one time thing, but it's fairly regular. And seeing as I commute from Paris, I have a bit of a thorn in my side about this. Either my status as an American or as a new Yorker has led me to be constantly connected with everyone, either by phone or via email. In college, it was perfectly common that a professor would email me and expect a response within an hour. The system worked vice versa as well. If I contacted a professor or the administration, I was certain to hear back promptly. I'm continually surprised by the amount of bullshit I deal with from colleagues. I came in expecting a certain level of bullshit from the students. Indeed, one might argue that "dealing with bullshit from students" is a dictionary-worthy definition of a high school teachers job. Honestly, I've never had much of an issue from the students. It would be nice, though, if my colleagues could email, call,or even text me if something comes up, so I could plan accordingly. Sitting in an empty classroom waiting for people to show up really doesn't do me or the school much good. What's more, I'd the students didn't know there was class, how come the teaching assistant didn't? I take it as a subtle slap in the face, as it has happened so many times (at the very least 10). It implies that it doesn't matter to let me know ahead of time, as I'm just the assistant and my job is insignificant. Ugh. As the French say, j'en ai marre!

No comments:

Post a Comment