Monday, January 14, 2013

Hot diiggity dog!

As you probably know if you either know me or read this blog, I'm a huge animal lover. Especially a dog lover. So when I saw these two dogs in front of my local bodega, I couldn't help but smile and snap a picture or two. One dog was on a leash (the little Pomeranian who faces the camer) and the other dog was tied up in front of the bodega. The Pom desperately wanted to meet and greet the tied up canine, so it would stand on its' hind legs and make treading water motions with its front paws. TOO CUTE.


Although people in New York truly love their dogs (and show their affection by putting sweaters, coats, and booties on them) it's a very different cultural approach than the French take to their canine companions. In France, dogs are truly treated as members of the family, and they accompany their owners to the supermarket, on mass transit, and to restaurants and bars. I miss seeing little dogs on the train! I'm sure one of the reasons we don't see this kind of thing in America is a sanitary issue; dogs have been known to roll around in their own filth, attract parasites, and potentially spread disease, so it makes sense why restaurant proprietors (and the health department) would want to keep this element out of an area where food is prepared and consumed. Nevertheless, I still miss seeing little buddies everywhere! Despite what you may have heard about a reputation for aloofness, in my experience, when you approach a French person with their dog (and as I always do, ask to pet it!) they couldn't be warmer or more gracious!

No comments:

Post a Comment